One of Us “asks the EU to end the financing of activities which presuppose the destruction of human embryos”
Pope Benedict XVI has backed a European Citizens’ Initiative (ECI) that is trying to stop the European Commission from financing abortion, research or any other activities that lead to the destruction of human embryos.
“I greet the Movement for Life and wish it success on the “One of Us” initiative so that Europe might always be a place where every human being’s dignity is safeguarded,” the Pope said at his weekly Angelus the day Italy observed “Pro-Life Sunday”.
The new campaign, backed primarily by Catholic prolife groups from 20 European countries, has high goals: “Should the petition gain one million signatures by that time, the European Parliament will be forced to schedule a debate on the issue of life at conception.”
The ‘One of Us’ campaign website, www.oneofus.eu/, says the campaign is unique in history:
The ECI ‘One of Us’ has a greater political potential than any other initative that has been undertaken so far to protect the dignity of the person and life from conception at a European scale. If a consensus will be achieved among 1 Million citizens or more, a concrete ethical standard could be established across Europe with regards to the respect of the dignity of each member of the human family, no matter how young it is
Rome Reports has further coverage.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!