Maureen O’Connor admits to stealing $2.1 mil from late husband’s charity, gambling losses of $1 bn
"The former mayor of San Diego has admitted taking $2.1m from her late husband's charitable foundation to fund a decade-long gambling habit during which the losses reached more than $1bn.
"Maureen O'Connor pleaded not guilty to a money-laundering charge in an agreement with the Justice Department that defers prosecution for two years while she tries to repay the foundation and receives treatment for gambling.
"She said it was connected to a brain tumor. "There are two Maureens – Maureen No 1 and Maureen No 2," O'Connor told a news conference. "Maureen No2 is the Maureen who did not know she had a tumor growing in her brain." The tumor was diagnosed in 2011."
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!