Will not attend conclave
Nevertheless, on 18 February 2013, Pope Benedict XVI accepted the resignation of Keith Cardinal Patrick O’Brien from the pastoral governance of the Archdiocese of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh. This was done on the occasion of the latter’s 75th birthday, when sitting bishops are required by Canon Law to submit a letter of resignation to the Holy See. This information was announced and published in the Osservatore Romano on Monday, 25 February 2013, and was confirmed by both the Bishops’ Conference of Scotland (via the Scottish Catholic Media Office [SCMO]) and by Fr. Federico Lombardi, spokesman for the Holy See.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!