Will not attend conclave
Nevertheless, on 18 February 2013, Pope Benedict XVI accepted the resignation of Keith Cardinal Patrick O’Brien from the pastoral governance of the Archdiocese of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh. This was done on the occasion of the latter’s 75th birthday, when sitting bishops are required by Canon Law to submit a letter of resignation to the Holy See. This information was announced and published in the Osservatore Romano on Monday, 25 February 2013, and was confirmed by both the Bishops’ Conference of Scotland (via the Scottish Catholic Media Office [SCMO]) and by Fr. Federico Lombardi, spokesman for the Holy See.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!