Same-sex marriage requires a redefinition of what marriage is in the first place
First, the legalization of same-sex marriage amounts to a redefinition of marriage, which no human power has the authority to make. Marriage is not an institution created or owned by the State; rather, it is “written in the very nature of man and woman as they come from the hand of the Creator” (Catechism of the Catholic Church, #1603).
When marriage is no longer legally recognized as a natural and social institution between a man and a woman for the reproduction of the human race, it is reduced to a privatized relationship based primarily on the desires of the partners. The disturbing natural consequences of this redefinition include:
- The removal of the procreative aspect of marriage from its definition, given that the definition is now expanded to include those who cannot reproduce as a couple. The integral connection of marriage with procreation is destroyed.
- Mothers and fathers become unnecessary in terms of their respective roles.
- The good of children in the family becomes a secondary concern to the interests of adults.
- Natural marriage between one man and one woman becomes just one of several options (which could come to include the extension of marriage to “any group of consenting and affectionate adults – including more than two adults”) rather than a vital institution ordered toward the raising of children by one mother and one father and the protection of civilization both now and in the future.
Please visit the Family Research Council’s website to learn more and to see a compelling documentary on “The Problem with Same-Sex Marriage.”
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!