The judge also ruled on a wide range of facts that will be barred during the trial
George Zimmerman's trial for the killing of Trayvon Martin will begin June 10th as planned, Circuit Judge Debra Nelso ruled today. The decision rejected a request of the defense to delay the trial.
Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder of 17-year-old Martin, whom he shot and killed on February 26, 2012 in Sanford, Florida. Zimmerman says he acted in self-defense. The case has had national attention since the middle of last year since some believe the killing was racially motivated.
According to USA Today, the judge also ruled that a wide range of evidence would be barred from the trial, including "Martin's school records, past fighting, marijuana use, ownership of gold teeth, or any photos or text messages found on the teen's phone." The judge also barred a toxicology report that showed Martin had marijuana in his system the night of his death.
The judge said she reserved the right to allow on a case-by-case basis evidence previously barred during the trial if she determines the evidence is relevant.
Fox News has photos of Zimmerman's injuries taken just hours after the altercation with Martin.