The College of Mount Saint Vincent says it doesn’t require its faculty to believe Catholic teaching. But are there no limits at all?
In 2011, The Cardinal Newman Society first reported on the scandal of Bianca Laureano teaching a course titled "SOC OF HUMAN SEXUALITY" for the Catholic college while volunteering as an “abortion doula.”
But in this video blog, discovered by a Campus Reform reporter in a follow-up to Newman Society’s reports, Professor Laureano discusses how she comforts women undergoing abortions and sometimes fundraises for women who have difficulty paying for the procedure.
The Cardinal Newman Society asked the College to verify Laureano’s current employment status, but spokesperson Belle Hann replied, “The College of Mount Saint Vincent has a policy whereby we do not comment upon the employment status of faculty and staff.” The College’s website reveals that Laureano was teaching a “Human Sexuality”course as late as last summer.
Hann also forwarded a comment from the president of the College, Charles Flynn Jr., defending Laureano’s employment. “The college is an independent institution deeply committed to its Catholic identity and mission,” he wrote in a letter to alumni. “We cannot and do not require that employees share faith in Catholic teaching, even the most fundamental Catholic teaching.”
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!