Aleteia logoAleteia logoAleteia
Saturday 24 September |
Saint of the Day: Bl. Colomba Gabriel
Aleteia logo
News
separateurCreated with Sketch.

Bishops Told to Focus on Quake Victims, Not Churches

Bishops told to focus on quake victims, not churches

Sgt. James L. Harper Jr

UCAnews - published on 10/18/13 - updated on 06/07/17

Top clerics are urged to focus their attention on the victims of this week’s earthquake in the central Philippines and not on collapsed churches.

The incoming president of the Catholic bishops' conference urged top clerics on Thursday to focus their attention on the victims of this week’s earthquake in the central Philippines and not on collapsed churches.

“I think our focus should be on the needy, not ourselves,” said Archbishop Socrates Villegas, who will take over the role as conference president on December 1.

“If at the point of a calamity [bishops] still think of my building, my church, my diocese… it’s not Christ-like,” he said.

“We should focus all our attention and resources on [the provinces of] Bohol and Cebu because that’s where the needy are,” Villegas told ucanews.com.

He was responding to calls by several bishops who have urged their priests to check the structural integrity of church buildings after several centuries-old churches in Bohol collapsed during Tuesday’s quake.

The National Commission for the Culture and Arts on Wednesday said four historic churches declared “national cultural treasures” by the government were damaged.

Bishop Leonardo Medroso of Tagbilaran told ucanews.com on Wednesday that these churches were beyond repair and that all 58 churches in Bohol province were damaged.

In Cebu City, the bell tower of the country’s oldest church, the Basilica Minore de Santo Nino, collapsed.

Meanwhile, the social action arm of the Catholic bishops' conference announced on Wednesday that it is allocating at least US$9,000 as an initial fund to assist earthquake victims in Bohol.

Father Edwin Gariguez, executive secretary of Caritas Philippines, said the resources of Tagbilaran and Talibon dioceses were not enough to respond to the needs of victims.

“We are monitoring the distribution of services and will be ready to complement the emergency efforts of affected dioceses,” Gariguez said on Wednesday.

He said resources from other dioceses are being tapped to provide emergency assistance to affected areas.

"Information and assessment reports are now being sent to Caritas member organizations to appeal for immediate emergency assistance," Gariguez said.

Authorities on Thursday said the death toll from the earthquake had reached 158.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said at least 3.4 million people had been affected by the quake.

The agency said at least 600 homes were destroyed while more than 1,400 were damaged.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology has reported more than 100 aftershocks in Bohol since the quake.

Originally published by UCA News on 17 October 2013.

Tags:
Philippines
Support Aleteia!

Enjoying your time on Aleteia?

Articles like these are sponsored free for every Catholic through the support of generous readers just like you.

Thanks to their partnership in our mission, we reach more than 20 million unique users per month!

Help us continue to bring the Gospel to people everywhere through uplifting and transformative Catholic news, stories, spirituality, and more.

Support Aleteia with a gift today!

jour1_V2.gif
Daily prayer
And today we celebrate...




Entrust your prayer intentions to our network of monasteries


Top 10
See More
Newsletter
Get Aleteia delivered to your inbox. Subscribe here.