Every parent should teach their children about sex. But when should you start? And what should you say?
The following are some tips on how to approach the subject in the family. The ideal is to start talking to children about sex at a young age (we suggest starting prior to age 12), highlighting the importance of waiting until marriage to begin sexual life.
2. Teach slowly and patiently. Don’t feel the need to cover the whole topic in one conversation, as this can be tiring and uncomfortable for both you and your children. By talking about sex slowly, your kids will be able to form their values and principles on the matter over time, allowing this knowledge to build upon itself in a positive way.
3. Have a sense of humor. Sex can be a weighty subject, which is talking about it in a lighthearted way can be helpful.
4. Be an example to your children how wonderful it is to live an ordered sexuality with the person with whom you choose to build a family. Emphasize the importance of waiting until marriage – even if you had sex prior to tying the knot.
Parents are an important reference for their children, and even if they don’t always set the best example, it is possible to guide them so that they can avoid making the same mistakes. It is necessary for parents to be confident about what they want to teach their children.
It is important to devote time to your children and to remember that the presence of an adult during their leisure time is valuable. Teens who lack this sort of closeness with their parents are more likely to have premarital sex.
It is also necessary to talk to your children about the risks of alcohol and other drugs, which may lead to unexpected sexual encounters.
Educate your children about friendships and encourage them to cultivate healthy relationships with friends who do not pressuring them to have sexual intercourse or to engage in risky behaviors such as the consumption of tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs.
Originally published by Sexoseguro.com.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!