Residents of the European Union fared even worse in a similar survey, with 1 in 3 thinking the sun revolves around the earth.
Not news to you? That's because you're a part of the 75%.
That's the incredible results of a new National Science Foundation survey of 2,200 Americans, in which they asked basic questions about scientific knowledge.
How is it possible that someone in the United States doesn't know that the earth revolves around the sun? Even if they never attended school, it's hard to believe someone wouldn't know it simply from popular culture.
Americans might be slightly comforted knowing that they actually fared better than Europeans: 1 in 3 residents of the European Union think the sun revolves around the earth.
Hearing about people's incredible ignorance can be disheartening, but at least it can also be funny:
Brantly Millegan is an Assistant Editor for Aleteia. He is also Co-Founder and Co-Editor of Second Nature, Co-Director of the International Institute for the Study of Technology and Christianity, and is working on a M.A. in Theology at the St. Paul Seminary School of Divinity. He lives with his wife and children in South St. Paul, MN. His personal website is brantlymillegan.com.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!