Better appreciate your stay-at-home mom, because you probably couldn’t afford to hire her.
How did they arrive at this result? By asking thousands of parents how much time they put into various domestic jobs. Then they calculated what that amount of hours spent in a workplace doing the same task would be worth. Chef (14 hours/week), maid (14.4 hours/week), homework tutor (13.3 hours/week), taxi driver (8 hours/week), but also chief operating officer (3.3 hours/week), and psychologist (7.3 hours/week). The payment for doing these jobs in these environments for these numbers of hours adds up to $114,000 per year. Check out the infographic and complete study here.
Want to try to know the value of the time you dedicate to your family? The Salary.com site allows you to personalize the calculations for each mom or dad by specifying the number of hours each week spent on housework, cooking, homework help, and shopping.
Interestingly, when Salary.com compares moms and dads we see the stay-at-home mom's average is 94 hours of work each week while the stay-at-home dad's is just 55.7 hours for the same number of children.
Is it a question of dedication, efficiency, or both?
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!