Better appreciate your stay-at-home mom, because you probably couldn’t afford to hire her.
How did they arrive at this result? By asking thousands of parents how much time they put into various domestic jobs. Then they calculated what that amount of hours spent in a workplace doing the same task would be worth. Chef (14 hours/week), maid (14.4 hours/week), homework tutor (13.3 hours/week), taxi driver (8 hours/week), but also chief operating officer (3.3 hours/week), and psychologist (7.3 hours/week). The payment for doing these jobs in these environments for these numbers of hours adds up to $114,000 per year. Check out the infographic and complete study here.
Want to try to know the value of the time you dedicate to your family? The Salary.com site allows you to personalize the calculations for each mom or dad by specifying the number of hours each week spent on housework, cooking, homework help, and shopping.
Interestingly, when Salary.com compares moms and dads we see the stay-at-home mom's average is 94 hours of work each week while the stay-at-home dad's is just 55.7 hours for the same number of children.
Is it a question of dedication, efficiency, or both?
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!