But gay marriage licenses will not be issued during the appeals process.
“Today’s court decision is not made in defiance of the great people of Texas or the Texas Legislature, but in compliance with the U.S. Constitution and Supreme Court precedent,” he said in his order, according to Dallas News. “Without a rational relation to a legitimate governmental purpose, state-imposed inequality can find no refuge in our U.S. Constitution.”
Traditional marriage defender Ryan Anderson strongly disagreed with the rulings. "These rulings claim that the equal protection of the law requires the redefinition of marriage," he wrote in a blog post for the Heritage Foundation. "It does not. State laws that reflect the truth about marriage should be ruled constitutional."
The Catholic Church has always taught that marriage is the exclusive, life-long union of one man and one woman, existing for the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of children. In 2003, the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith issued a document answering whether Catholics could support legal same sex unions. It concluded:
Brantly Millegan is an Assistant Editor for Aleteia. He is also Co-Founder and Co-Editor of Second Nature, Co-Director of the International Institute for the Study of Technology and Christianity, and is working on a M.A. in Theology at the St. Paul Seminary School of Divinity. He lives with his wife and children in South St. Paul, MN. His personal website is brantlymillegan.com.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!