Parliament votes overwhelmingly to amend constitution.
Members of Parliament from the Social-Democrat and Christian-Democrat parties voted overwhelmingly on Wednesday to define marriage as a “unique bond between a man and a woman” in the nation’s Constitution.
Only 18 parliamentarians voted against the amendment, while 102 voted in favor.
In fact, the Constitution was amended to make attempts to redefine marriage less likely in the future, according to J.C. von Krempach, writing at Turtle Bay and Beyond, the blog of the Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute.
“This amendment seeks to go further than banning same-sex ‘marriages,’” von Krepach explains. “Its explanatory referendum specifies that ‘it will be impossible for the rights and duties associated with marriage to be conferred in any way other than a legally recognised union between a man and a woman.’”
He said that any form of union for same-sex couples would be banned.
“With this amendment, Slovakia follows a trend among European countries: it is the seventh EU Member State (after Bulgaria, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, Hungary, and Croatia) to have enacted such a clarification, belying false assertions (e.g. by the ideologically biased European Court of Human Rights) that there is a general trend towards recognition of same-sex ‘marriages’ in Europe.”
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!