Israel-Palestine, Middle East tensions, Guantanamo Bay among issues discussed
According to Father Lombardi, the main topics discussed were the situation in the Middle East, and the commitment of the U.S. to avoid the escalation of tensions and the explosion of violence; also the commitment to promote a resumption of negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians.
The possibility of closing the United States’ Guantanamo Bay prison was also discussed and the desire expressed for the Holy See’s assistance in seeking adequate humanitarian solutions for current inmates.
The short time available for Monday’s discussions prevented both sides from examining other issues in depth, though some were mentioned, in particular, the situation in Ukraine and its prospects and the emergency surrounding the Ebola outbreak.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!