Slight drop in participation from 2013
The figure, released by the prefecture of the papal household, is a drop from 6.6 million during Francis’ first nine and half months as pontiff in 2013.
The statistics show that almost 1.2 million attended Pope Francis’ 43 weekly general audiences held this year, 567,100 were present at his special audiences, just over 1.1 million participated in papal liturgies, and 3 million came to see the Pope recite the Sunday “Angelus” or the “Regina Coeli”.
The numbers are approximate and based on tickets issued or estimated crowd sizes.
From his election in March last year until the end of December 2013, Pope Francis attracted 1.5 million to 30 general audiences and 2.3 million participated in papal liturgies.
Pope Benedict XVI annually attracted on average a total of 2 – 2.5 million faithful to papal events.
Diane Montagna is Rome correspondent for Aleteia’s English edition.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!