Face it: we will listen to our phones if all else fails
plan. What better way to carry it out than with an app to remind you of your best intentions? Here are 7 mostly free apps to help you out:
Lentsanity: Helpful reminders not to eat meat on Fridays along with daily reflections. Created with youngish folk in mind, but will be appreciated by immature, older penitents as well. Free app.
xt3 Lent Calendar: From the Catholic Church in Sydney, Australia, this Lenten Calendar starts today, and in the style of an Advent calendar, features daily reflections, readings and art and images from indigenous Australians. Free app.
Magnificat: If you subscribe to
Magnificat, you know that the
Magnificat Lenten companion is all you really need. It’s also the only one we’ve listed here that’s not free. Liturgy, prayers and daily reflections, and more for $1.99.
Truth and Life Bible App.Try the 40 Day Challenge – read the four gospels during Lent. Added bonus: dramatized audio for the Gospel of Mark, with professional actors and real sound effects. Free app.
40 Day Spiritual Workout. Designed by the Franciscan University of Steubenville especially for teens to help them make prayer a part of their lives. Cleverly mimics a gym workout app. Free.
catholicapps.com have pointed out that you can use the apps already on your
phone to make the most of Lent. Try setting alarms to pray, go to Holy Hour, or wake up to prayerful music. Free.
is Managing Editor of English Aleteia.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!