How to do more than warm a pew
Let me give you pointers which have helped me get more out of the Mass.
Eight Quick Tips For Getting More Out of Mass
1. Properly prepare for Mass.
• Read and study the readings before you go to Mass, and then listen to them intently while The Word is proclaimed. You can find the Sunday readings here.
• Study the Church’s teachings. The more you know about Jesus and His Church, the more there is to love. – You can’t love what you don’t know.
• Go to Confession regularly. This will help prepare you spiritually.
• Pray daily. Without prayer you have no spiritual power!
• Dress appropriately. You are going to meet the King of Kings. Don’t dress the same as you would for a lunch date, a party, or class. Make it special.
• Get there early and sit up front. Less distractions and more time for prayer before Mass.
• Once inside, don’t talk or people-watch…pray.
2. Make sure your attitude is adjusted properly
• Don’t expect to be entertained. You are there to offer God worship and receive grace. It isn’t about being ‘engaged’.
• Look for God in every part of the Mass.
• Don’t let outside distractions disturb your internal peace.
•Find one nugget in the preaching to take home with you.
3. Participate fully
• Sing, even if your voice is bad.
• Respond and pray with gusto. Give it all to God and don’t worry about others.
• Remember that during Mass isn’t socializing time.
• Offer your pain, sufferings, joys and prayers to God.
4. Listen to the Word and be open to it changing you
• Are you open to letting God change you? If not, then you won’t be changed.
• Listen to the Word proclaimed and let it challenge you.
• Find something in the Homily and apply it for the week.
5. Know, understand, and proclaim your Faith
• Don’t just recite the Creed – proclaim it like you mean it and understand what you are proclaiming.
6. Tithe If every Catholic tithed…think what we could accomplish in spreading the Gospel.
• Yes, it is our duty to support the Church. But, it does more for our own faith than it does for the Church.
• Most people “tip” not “tithe” – so be a tither, not a tipper.
• Tithing helps us properly order the gifts God has given us.
7. When you receive Jesus in the Eucharist – understand what it is you are doing
• You are taking the Body, blood, soul, and divinity of GOD into you
• You are joining in heaven on earth
• You are becoming one with The Body of Christ
• Be reverent
• Realize that He is in everyone else that received Him as well.
8. Tell other people about Him
• You are now empowered to evangelize (share the Good News of Christ) – which is what the Church exists for.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!