Spiritual direction from the saint known for the stigmata and mysticism
So… I really thought hard about that one.
But God can work through anything, and since my Confirmation, through the intercession of Padre Pio, I have grown a lot in my love and understanding of this holy man. I took a class on him in college in an effort to get to know him better. We read thousands of pages of his letters to and from his spiritual directors and directees (the people he gave spiritual advice to). I think it’s safe to say that after hours of study and prayer he and I have moved from “acquaintances” to “spiritual father/daughter.” And I have been so blessed by his wisdom.
I want to share some of that wisdom with you. Here are a couple short quotes from his letters that have left a lasting impact on me.
1. “Jesus is with you even when you don’t feel His presence. He is never so close to you as He is during your spiritual battles. He is always there, close to you, encouraging you to fight your battle courageously. He is there to ward off the enemy’s blows so that you may not be hurt.” (8/15/1914)
2. “The storms that are raging around you will turn out to be for God’s glory, your own merit, and the good of many souls.” (6/15/1914)
3. “Every sacrifice which your soul makes, every good it does is directed to God for the sanctification of all.” (4/2/1917)
4. “Don’t be daunted by the cross. The surest test of love consists in suffering for the loved one, and if God suffered so much for love, the pain we suffer for Him becomes as lovable as love itself.” (7/14/1914)
5. “True and substantial devotion consists in serving God without experiencing any sensible consolation. This means serving and loving God for His own sake.” (7/14/1914)
6. “The greater your sufferings, the greater God’s love for you.” (9/19/1914)
7. “He wants you entirely for Himself, He wants you to place all your trust and all your affection in Him alone and it is precisely for this reason that He send you this spiritual aridity, to unite you more closely to Him.” (7/14/1914)
8. “We have close to us an angelic spirit who never leaves us for an instant from the cradle to the grave, who guides and protects us like a friend or a brother.” (4/20/1915)
9. “You must have boundless faith in the divine goodness, for the victory is absolutely certain.” (5/25/1914)
10. “You complain because the same trials are constantly returning. But look here, what have you to fear? Are you afraid of the divine craftsman who wants to perfect His masterpiece in this way? Would you like to come from the hands of such a magnificent Artist as a mere sketch and no more?” (1/1/1921)
11. “When we suffer, Jesus is closer to us.” (4/2/1912)
12. “You say you are anxious about the future, but don’t you know that the Lord is with you always and that our enemy has no power over one who has resolved to belong entirely to Jesus?” (3/29/1914)
13. “I recommend calm and calm all the time.” (2/3/1922)
14. “How unbearable is pain when suffered far from the Cross, but how sweet and bearable it becomes when it is offered close to the Cross of Jesus!” (5/20/1915)
15. “If we earnestly endeavor to love Jesus, this alone will drive all fear from our hearts and soul will find that instead of walking in the Lord’s paths, it is flying.” (8/17/1913)
Christina Mead is the Assistant Director of Resource Development at LifeTeen.This article was originally published on LifeTeen's blog and is reprinted here with kind permission.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!