Emotional court hearing in which victims’ family members confront confessed killer
Almost without exception, all the families wanted Roof to know one thing: they forgive him for killing nine people gathered for a bible study class at Emmanuel AME Church.
Roof, who was not in the courtroom but in a holding cell, appeared by video link. He stood motionless and expressionless.
Anthony Thompson, representative of the family of Myra Thompson, urged Roof to repent. "Give your life to the one who matters the most—Christ so he can change it and change your ways, no matter what happens to you."
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!