Philadelphia archbishop blasts Catholic senators who voted against defunding Planned Parenthood
This was the response of the Archbishop of Philadelphia, Charles J. Chaput, OFM Cap., to revelations from a series of secret videos exposing the practices of leading abortion provider, Planned Parenthood.
In his August 10 article on Philly.com, Archbishop Chaput said “no amount of contextualizing or deflecting our attention to other issues” can obscure the fact there is no equivalence between the killing of the innocent and other evil acts, such as theft or assault, stating “only a very confused conscience would equate thieving and homicide.”
The Archbishop admitted a case is sometimes made that abortion is mainly a cultural and moral issue, and politics is a poor solution to the problem.
“The curious thing is that some of the same voices that argue against political action on the abortion issue seem quite comfortable urging vigorous political engagement on issues like health care, homelessness and the environment,” he said.
He called the failure of the recent efforts in the United States Senate to defund Planned Parenthood a “public failure of character by every Catholic senator who voted against it.”
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!