Today was also a personally significant day for Francis in his life as a priest
With the presence of President Raul Castro, the Holguin Mass became a celebration of faith in a communist country. It was also an important personal day for Jorge Bergoglio, the pope: On September 21, 1952, 62 years ago today, at age 17, he heard God’s call to become a religious and a priest. He was later ordained a priest in 1969.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!