Castro receives his former teacher’s books and CDs
The pontiff met with Fidel Castro for about 30 minutes on Sunday in Havana at the former president’s residence, presenting him with some special gifts: a book and two CDs with songs and homilies by the late Fr. Armando Llorente, a Jesuit priest who taught Castro in school.
Catholic New Agency reports that just before Fr. Llorente’s death, he publicly asked for Castro’s conversion and repentance. The priest didn’t live to hear it, but when the new agency Efe asked him what he would say to Castro if they had a chance to meet, Fr. Llorente said:
“The first thing that we would do would be to give each other a big hug, laugh and remember the adventures that we had together, which were many and very beautiful.” Then he would tell him: “Fidel, the moment of truth has arrived.”
According to CNN, about 10 members of Castro’s family were present at the meeting between Pope Francis and Castro yesterday, and Castro’s son, Alex, photographed the meeting.
Zoe Romanowsky is Lifestyle Editor and Video Curator for Aleteia
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!