Classic movies for all ages.
1. A Christmas Carol (1938): This adaptation of Charles Dickens’ classic tale of greed and redemption is perfect for Advent, but hats off to you if you can get your HDTV-raised kids to embrace the B&W. Streaming on Netflix.
2. White Christmas (1954): Sappy, sentimental Greatest Generation musical that’s great nostalgic fun, with terrific songs. Streaming on Netflix.
3. The Miracle on 34th Street (1947): A favorite Christmas movie on the power of faith — the “Elf” of its time (see below). Free with Amazon prime.
4. Elf (2003): A great Christmas movie which, for our family, has made bumper-to-bumper Thanksgiving traffic on the New Jersey Turnpike bearable for all three generations stuck in a minivan together. Amazon.
5. A Christmas Story (1983): Based on Jean Shepherd’s reminiscences from a 1940s childhood — stands up to repeated Christmastime rewatchings. Amazon.
6. The Nativity Story (2006): The makers of this 2006 retelling of the birth of Jesus went to great pains to make the sets for Nazareth and Bethlehem seem real. Put yourself in the scene of the Gospels — Ignatian spirituality-style. Amazon.
7. Joyeux Noel (2005): A French film about the “Christmas Truce “ of 1914, when soldiers dropped their arms during World War I. Rated PG-13. Amazon.
8. It’s a Wonderful Life (1946): Nothing like contemplating suicide to put things into perspective! The classic Christmas movie. Amazon (available only for purchase).
9. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005): Beautiful adaptation of the C. S. Lewis classic. The snowy scenes are the perfect antidote to this unseasonably warm El Niño winter. Amazon.
10. Bells of St. Mary’s (1945): Stars Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman as a priest and nun at a Catholic School—the Christmas pageant is what makes it a holiday favorite. Free with Amazon Prime.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!