“Mas Tu sabes, também, que meu choro é sincero. Porém, não tenho nada a oferecer, meu Senhor, mas te dou a minha vida.”
“Minha Essência” [My Essence] is the song title. Twenty-five year old Thiago is its author and interpreter. From the mouth of this young man comes a true hymn to God’s mercy, and the cry of a sinner who, having travelled down countless roads, desires to meet the Lord.
“It’s all that I have, receive my nothingness, rebuild the house, abide in me,” the chorus says.
The song has been a Youtube sensation and was inspired by the Gospel account of the woman who washed the feet of Jesus with her tears and poured on them her finest perfume (Luke 7:36-50).
The song lyrics lead the listener to recognize that life only finds meaning in God. And who isn’t looking for meaning in life? How many people get lost in false achievements? Perhaps, as the song lyrics suggest, the answer is to return to the essential, to the reason why each human being was uniquely created.
“You take me in your arms, you calm me on your breast. I am yours, I am chosen and my essence is to breathe in your perfume,” we hear as the song ends.
The song “Minha essência” is from the 2013 album, O Céu É Meu Caminho.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!