“God Almighty, help them.”
“I just don’t get it,” Patinkin says. “I don’t get how people let this happen to people. … And then I don’t get. … How people in different countries all over the world can be frightened of people who have suffered so much. Who are so in need. Who are desperately asking to have freedom, justice and dignity. Just give them a welcome and let them into your home.”
Patinkin even seems to offer a heartfelt prayer for God’s help at the end of the video.
Over 440,000 refugees and migrants have landed on the shores of Lesvos, Greece, this year, according to the United Nations Refugee Agency’s latest available data. The Greek Reporter claims the island is the single greatest entry point into Europe by sea. Because of this many NGOs like the International Rescue Committee have set up in Lesvos.
Zoe Romanowsky is lifestyle editor and video content producer for Aleteia.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!