As His Holiness continues to lead the Church, we present a listicle and video of appreciation!
His Holiness seems tireless to us. As he celebrates his birthday — looking quite fit and energetic — the staff of Aleteia offers, in no particular order, this list of “little” reasons we appreciate Pope Francis, but the video at the end may say it all!
1) He popped in to the neighborhood optician to get new glasses.
His shoes look a little worn, like ours.
3) He is good to his mother, always beginning and ending every trip with a visit to Maria Maggiore and offering prayers.
Sometimes he even brings her presents, like flowers or a soccer ball!
5) He carries a Rosary in his pocket.
His signature is just plain “Francis.” Except, you know, in Latin.
7) With only one lung, he seems tireless.
8) He loves a slice of pizza so much, he’ll
Nuns swoon over him, like Elvis.
10) Drinks yerba mate on the go,
11) He likes to tango.
He often travels via “Fiat,” a living metaphor!
13) He hugs and kisses people we find hard to look at and challenges us to simply love.
He is Peter, and healings still happen where he walks.
16) He gives free rides in the Pope-mobile.
17) He lost his heart to a pretty girl, but then “I discovered my religious vocation.”
18) He reads Tolkien.
He opens Holy Doors like a superhero.
20) The guy who talks all about mercy once worked as a bouncer to pay for his studies.
He is always ready to join in on a selfie.
23) His favorite painting is Chagall’s “White Crucifixion.”
24) He just might pick up the phone and call one of us if he’s in the mood.
He learned to use a touch-screen from an elementary school student.
26) He blessed thousands of bikers in St. Peter’s Square when they celebrated Harley-Davidson’s 110th anniversary.
27) He shows us how to be merciful in “little” ways, like St. Therese did.
29) He always asks for our prayers.
30) He loves the babies! Bring him the babies! Let the little children come!
Happy birthday, Papa!