To understand mercy, we need to understand the Blessed Virgin Mary’s role in salvation history
Mary is also the one who obtained mercy in a particular and exceptional way, as no other person has. At the same time, still in an exceptional way, she made possible with the sacrifice of her heart her own sharing in God’s mercy. This sacrifice is intimately linked with the cross of her Son, at the foot of which she was to stand on Calvary.
—John Paul II, Dives in Misericordia
As Catholics celebrate the great feast of Mary, Mother of God, this video by Ascension Press reminds us that she is also the Mother of Mercy, and as such we can entrust this upcoming Jubilee Year of Mercy to her intercession and care.
In this first video of a series celebrating the Year of Mercy, well-known Catholic evangelist, author and Bible expert, Jeff Cavins, reflects on the role the Virgin Mary plays in salvation history. He follows the journey of the ark of the covenant through the Old Testament and shows how Jesus’ birth fulfills the promise of mercy God gave his people.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!