“If they can do it, so can you.” That’s what Mandisa wanted people to say to themselves when they saw the music video for her Billboard hit “Overcomer.”
The video features public figures who have fought battles and worked to overcome great obstacles: Good Morning America host Robin Roberts and her fight against breast cancer and myelodysplastic syndrome; politician Gabby Giffords, who survived an assassination attempt; cancer-survivor and Olympic gold medalist Scott Hamilton; and Biggest Loser runner-up Hannah Curlee.
Perhaps it is Hannah who most closely resembles Mandisa’s own story, who lost more than 100 pounds after spending most of her life using food and weight to protect herself after a traumatizing attack as a teenager.
Mandisa makes it clear where she draws her strength from: Jesus Christ. “The same man, the great I AM, the one who overcame death, he’s living inside of you. So just hold tight, fix your eyes on the one who holds your life. There’s nothing he can’t do.”
What are you trying to overcome in your life right now? Whatever it is, take a breath. Don’t forget. Hang on to his promises. Don’t quit. Don’t give in. You’re an overcomer.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!