Four centuries after his death, a computer analyzes the Dutch master’s ouvre to create a brand new painting
“So far we have used data to improve our business life, but we have not used data in ways that allow us to touch the depths of the human soul.” This is how Ron Augustus, director of SMB Markets for Microsoft, describes “The Next Rembrandt” project. “You could say we have gathered and used data in the same way Rembrandt used oil painting and brushes to create something new.”
In a nutshell: a quite complex algorithm, created by a group of data analysts, has managed to have a computer and a 3D printer produce a “new work” by the Dutch master, after analyzing, collecting, classifying and processing all the possible data from all of Rembrandt’s work. The algorithm mimics the master’s technique, style, themes and characters. It is, as pointed out by OpenCulture, as if the team could have managed to extract Rembrand’s “artistic DNA” in order to create a new painting.
Of course, no one expects this piece to be hanging on a museum wall anytime soon, but it indeed represents an exceptional technological achievement that gives us a glimpse of what soon we will be able to do with technology, applied to the fields of conservation, history of art, archaeology and research.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!