Who Says You Can’t Be a Saint?
Saint ain’t nothing but a sinner who never gave up.
We’ve said it here before, but it’s worth quoting again, because it’s exactly the message of this song:
I have never liked biographies of saints which naively—but also with a lack of sound doctrine—present their deeds as if they had been confirmed in grace from birth.
No. The true life stories of Christian heroes resemble our own experience: they found and won; they fought and lost. And then, repentant, they returned to the fray.
– St. Josemaría, Christ is Passing By
It’s easy when we look up at the statues of the saints in church to think, that’s not for me. That’s for other people. Priests. Religious. Old people. People back in the day. People who have nothing to do but pray. Not me.
This is a common mentality. Which is why The Bosco Boys, two young Salesian seminarians, wanted to challenge us: Who says you can’t be a saint?
We are all called to holiness. God wants you to be a saint. Yes, you. He doesn’t want another Mother Teresa or John Bosco. He wants you, which is why He created you.
So, as John Paul II said, Be not afraid to be saints!
To keep up with the latest from your favorite artists and to find new music every day, follow Cecilia on Facebook.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!