Who Says You Can’t Be a Saint?
Saint ain’t nothing but a sinner who never gave up.
We’ve said it here before, but it’s worth quoting again, because it’s exactly the message of this song:
I have never liked biographies of saints which naively—but also with a lack of sound doctrine—present their deeds as if they had been confirmed in grace from birth.
No. The true life stories of Christian heroes resemble our own experience: they found and won; they fought and lost. And then, repentant, they returned to the fray.
– St. Josemaría, Christ is Passing By
It’s easy when we look up at the statues of the saints in church to think, that’s not for me. That’s for other people. Priests. Religious. Old people. People back in the day. People who have nothing to do but pray. Not me.
This is a common mentality. Which is why The Bosco Boys, two young Salesian seminarians, wanted to challenge us: Who says you can’t be a saint?
We are all called to holiness. God wants you to be a saint. Yes, you. He doesn’t want another Mother Teresa or John Bosco. He wants you, which is why He created you.
So, as John Paul II said, Be not afraid to be saints!
To keep up with the latest from your favorite artists and to find new music every day, follow Cecilia on Facebook.
Support Aleteia! It only takes a minute.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!