He is a great help with more than just finding lost things!
Saint Anthony is also known for the prayer of exorcism that he gave to a woman oppressed by a demon during a dream she had of the saint.
He is the author of numerous sermons, many of which have been preserved through the centuries. Because of his teachings and example, Saint Anthony was declared a Doctor of the Church in 1946.
To help us appreciate the life of Saint Anthony (and not invoke him only when we lose our car keys) here are ten inspiring quotes from a true disciple of Saint Francis:
1) “Actions speak louder than words; let your words teach and your actions speak.”
2) “Earthly riches are like the reed. Its roots are sunk in the swamp, and its exterior is fair to behold; but inside it is hollow. If a man leans on such a reed, it will snap off and pierce his soul.”
3) “Attribute to God every good that you have received. If you take credit for something that does not belong to you, you will be guilty of theft.”
4) “Solicitude for material things distracts the soul and divides it. The devil seizes the divided soul and drags it to hell.” **
5) “Christians must lean on the Cross of Christ just as travelers lean on a staff when they begin a long journey.”
6) “The spirit of humility is sweeter than honey, and those who nourish themselves with this honey produce sweet fruit.”
7) “Anyone, then, who desires to live chastely in Christ Jesus, must flee not only the mouse of lust, but even from its very scent.”
8) “The creator of the heavens obeys a carpenter; the God of eternal glory listens to a poor virgin. Has anyone ever witnessed anything comparable to this? Let the philosopher no longer disdain from listening to the common laborer; the wise, to the simple; the educated, to the illiterate; a child of a prince, to a peasant.” **
9) “Damned money! Alas! How many religious did it blind! How many cloistered religious did it deceive! Money is the ‘droppings of birds’ that blinded the eyes of Tobit.”
10) “The saints are like the stars, who, in His providence, Christ hides under a seal, lest they appear whenever they wish. Instead, they are always ready to disembark from the quiet of contemplation into the works of mercy at the time decided upon by God, whenever their heart should hear the word of command.”
**Quotes changed due to misattribution
Since you are here…
…we’d like to have one more word with you. We are excited to report that Aleteia’s readership is growing at a rapid rate, world-wide! Our team proves its mission every day by providing high-quality content that informs and inspires a Christian life. But quality journalism has a cost and it’s more than ads can cover. We want our articles to be accessible to everyone, free of charge, but we need your help. To continue our efforts to nourish and inspire our Catholic family, your support is invaluable. Become an Aleteia Patron today for as little as $3 a month. May we count on you?