Saturday Night Live spot makes no compliment to modern women but did they know suffragette actually said that?
One wonders if the SNL writers know what they were doing with this bit, or if they meant to make modern women look like such insipid, shallow airheads.
They also make the great suffragette Susan B. Anthony look neurotic, shrill, and needy as she forces herself again and again into their whiny conversation, until — in a last ditch effort to get their attention — she blurts out, “And abortion is murder!”
That, of course, finally hit the mark and the modern women are stunned and offended. Fin.
It’s possible the piece has something smart to say about how we value our historic icons as grand ideas, rather than as people — and that’s certainly something worth exploring — but if that’s what SNL was going for, they didn’t quite hit the mark. The skit is so muddled, nothing is really clear, except that the writers don’t think much of women.
But did they know that Susan B. Anthony did describe abortion as “child murder”?
Very likely they know it now.
And “Susan B.” seems…unamused.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!