He lost his vision as a teenager, and never expected to see again.
It can even lead to blindness or to low vision. This was the case with Gene Purdie, a Denver man suffering from Stargardt since he was a teenager .
But in spite of his disability, Gene has always remained active. His wife Joy says he always put passion in whatever he did. Especially in the kitchen, where he loved to cook, even though it took quite a bit of effort to read the recipes.
The family had become accustomed to living with the disease, but one day, Joy saw something incredible on television – something that would change their lives .
In an episode of the Rachael Ray Show, there was a demonstration of an ocular device constructed with HD camera called eSight. The technology would, for the first time, allow those who have suffered vision loss from Starsgard to see normally.
Joy then decided to write a letter to the producers of the show. At the thought that her husband would be able to see his wife’s face and his young son for the first time, she wrote that she “literally began shaking and crying for the next hour or more.”
Accepting Joy’s request, Ray invited Gene and his family to the show. When Gene took off his glasses and put on the device, he was finally able to see his wife and son. For the first time in his life.
Watch his emotional reaction for yourself (minute 4:42).
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!