The 91-year-old woman’s final message has been shared by those who didn’t even know her
“In lieu of flowers, please be kind to someone. Call a friend or relative you haven’t reached out to recently. Visit a shut-in or nursing home resident. Forgive someone. All acts of kindness are appreciated.”
New York newscaster Michael Benny posted Barbour’s message on his Facebook page, noting, “Central New York woman’s obituary has a wonderful idea…RIP lady, wish I knew you.”
Hundreds of people responded to his post, and many left comments about how her inspiring words had moved them:
Talk about coming from the heart! U must have been a remarkable woman. RIP
what amazing grace she had and continues to have !!
It is very nice. Kindness is needed now more than ever.
What a beautiful legacy to leave….
Isn’t that nice? What a great idea !
I have a bucket list and item #2 reads, foster an elderly person. I am putting that item at the top of my list #1.
And for those who knew her, her message to show compassion to others was a perfect send-off for Barbour’s life. One commenter wrote,
“She was my great aunt on my mother’s side. She was a remarkable woman and raised a wonderful family of people who are just as kind, generous and loving as she was. I’m glad that a part of her is bringing happiness to people today.”
Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord,
and let perpetual light shine upon her.
May she rest in peace.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!