The 91-year-old woman’s final message has been shared by those who didn’t even know her
“In lieu of flowers, please be kind to someone. Call a friend or relative you haven’t reached out to recently. Visit a shut-in or nursing home resident. Forgive someone. All acts of kindness are appreciated.”
New York newscaster Michael Benny posted Barbour’s message on his Facebook page, noting, “Central New York woman’s obituary has a wonderful idea…RIP lady, wish I knew you.”
Hundreds of people responded to his post, and many left comments about how her inspiring words had moved them:
Talk about coming from the heart! U must have been a remarkable woman. RIP
what amazing grace she had and continues to have !!
It is very nice. Kindness is needed now more than ever.
What a beautiful legacy to leave….
Isn’t that nice? What a great idea !
I have a bucket list and item #2 reads, foster an elderly person. I am putting that item at the top of my list #1.
And for those who knew her, her message to show compassion to others was a perfect send-off for Barbour’s life. One commenter wrote,
“She was my great aunt on my mother’s side. She was a remarkable woman and raised a wonderful family of people who are just as kind, generous and loving as she was. I’m glad that a part of her is bringing happiness to people today.”
Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord,
and let perpetual light shine upon her.
May she rest in peace.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!