As an immigrant, he knew what it was like to feel isolated.
“There was a language barrier … and my mom was always working and my father was still in Haiti at the time so I wasn’t able to talk to anybody,” Estimon recalled. “I felt isolated. I felt lonely. And so I still remember how I felt not being able to speak to fellow students.”
This year, as a popular high school senior, that feeling of loneliness is a distant memory, but he when noticed other kids sitting alone at lunch, he decided to do something about it.
“It’s not a good feeling, like you’re by yourself. And that’s something that I don’t want anybody to go through,” Estimon told CBS News. “To me it’s like, if we don’t try to go make that change, who’s going to do it?” he said.
Together, he and three friends founded a club called We Dine Together. At lunch they go into the school’s courtyard and introduce themselves to students who are sitting alone. According to a report on CBS News, since it started last fall, hundreds of friendships have formed.
Estimon’s teacher, Jordan Hernandez told the Sun-Sentinel that he’s noticed a big change in how students relate to one other.
“I see coming together in one room Latinos, black, white, some students that are Irish, Haitian students — all over the map. They have one common goal and it’s to make friends and understand each other,” he said. “They bridge this chasm between students. It’s not just about eating pizza together but how we do life with one another.”
Watch this report from CBS news and read more about We Dine Together here.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!