These two need to package these so I can buy one and feel horrible about myself.
Business Insider has the full story:
Chef Greweling challenged them to figure out the process on their own using their knowledge of chocolate and sugar chemistry. With the guidance of their chef, they made GIANT sparkling chocolate geodes.
They tempered massive amounts of molten chocolate — the largest of the geodes was over 50 pounds — and poured it into egg-shaped molds.
The crystals are actually similar to rock candy that you’d make at home. They used concentrated sugar syrup in beautiful purple and orange hues.
Six months later, in February 2017, they cracked open their collection of 12 geodes of varying sizes — with spectacular results.
The reveal was all the more promising because Alex and Abby had spent the previous six months turning, rotating, and tending carefully to the eggs — but had no idea what the crystals would ultimately look like.
“During the process, you don’t really know what’s going on inside the eggs; you know they’re growing, but you don’t really know what they’re gonna look like until you crack them open,” said Yeatts.
The pair have since parted, Abby graduating while Alex has more schooling ahead of him, but in our opinion, they should drop what they’re doing and start a business selling these 50-lb eggs for a nice premium online. They could make a fortune!
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!