This “novel of lunch and mayhem” was inspired by the desire to make his kids laugh. It succeeds.
1) What inspired the book?
I had a new iPad and external keyboard, and I felt like I needed to justify the purchase. Plus, I wanted to write a novel that would make my kids laugh; but I should add that at the time my kids ranged from high school to elementary school, and they’d all listened with great appreciation to vast swathes of Terry Pratchett. And then I said, I want to write a novel that starts with a completely implausible situation … and then have great fun making sense of it. The Vikings showed up in the hamburger joint a few minutes later.
2) If you could give this book another title, what would it be?
If I knew, I’d have done it. Vikings at Dino’s was only supposed to be the working title, but I’ve never come up with one I like better.
3) What person in this book do you most personally identify with?
Michael, the hero and first-person narrator—but only because the tale is told from his point of view, and so I have to get seriously into his head. He’s a software engineer, but other than we’re not particularly alike.
4) If there is one person you want to reach with this book, who would that be?
I’d like to reach that one person who will enjoy it so thoroughly that he’ll tell all of his friends and buy copies for everyone he knows. That guy. You know.
5) What is the ideal beverage to have in hand while reading your book?
Probably a nice Newcastle Brown, but really, anything that pairs well with a cheeseburger and fries. Alternatively, a nice single malt, so long as you’re careful to sip it between spit takes.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!