Also a papal visit to South America, Eastern Christians in Australia, and more…
Cardinal Raï / Benedict XVI: Lebanese Cardinal Bechara Boutros Raï, Maronite Patriarch of Antioch and all the East, was received by Pope Francis on May 5, 2017, the Holy See said on Thursday. The cardinal is currently in Rome for the plenary assembly of the Vatican Secretariat of Communications, of which he is a member. The day before, the Maronite Patriarch had visited Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI in the Vatican Gardens.
Australia / Cardinal Sandri: Cardinal Leonardo Sandri, Prefect of the Congregation for the Eastern Churches, will visit Australia from May 7, 2017, according to a statement issued by the congregation on May 4. The Vatican prelate has accepted an invitation from the five eastern bishops of that country, whose number of faithful is increasing as a result of the emigration of Syrian and Iraqi Christians. Cardinal Sandri will also speak during a meeting of the Australian Bishops’ Conferences, and will meet members of parliament and the Diplomatic Corps.
Colombia / Papal visit: A delegation of the Vatican Gendarmerie and the Pontifical Swiss Guard is currently in Colombia to prepare for Pope Francis’ apostolic visit to the country, September 6-10, the Catholic agency SIR reported on May 4, 2017. The delegation will visit the four cities the pontiff will visit in September: Bogota, Villaviciencio, Medellín and Cartagena de Indias.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!