“The Fox Sessions” has some great moments.
Audrey speaks about the inspiration for Inheritance on her website:
I made Inheritance in the midst of a weird and blurry and disorienting time. I have said this before, but in case you missed it, one of the reasons I even decided to make a hymns album was that, in addition to how much I love the songs, I couldn’t write a worship song to save my life back then. I was just too shaken up. I didn’t have a clue what to say, really.
Songs like “Be Thou My Vision” were like a hospital to me then. I didn’t have any idea about what to do, so I sang what I knew—I lifted up the melodies that had walked with me since childhood. Even when I didn’t know if I believed the words, I found refuge in the sounds.
They seemed like Medicine—an antidote, a tonic.
Her decision to combine these two tracks creates a little narrative of its own. The wanderer, contemplating the Mysteries of Faith, concludes, “Since Christ is lord of Heaven and Earth, how can I keep from singing?” Even though the video shows a concert, you are left with the impression of traveling through wooded hills, imagery Assad often favors.
Providing backup vocals on this track is singer/songwriter Sarah Kroger. Sarah has released 2 EPs since 2011. Her most recent is Hallelujah Is Our Song (2013).
Follow Cecilia–Aleteia’s music page–on Facebook!
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!