It is always the right day, and a good time, to offer a prayer of thanksgiving for our mothers.
[On May 14, the United States celebrated Mother’s Day, and today our French cousins honor their mothers in a similar way. Our publisher Pierre-Marie Dumont has composed a heartfelt and insightful prayer for the day. We are happy to share it; praying for mothers is always a good thing to do! – Ed.]
God our Father,
you never cease to perform wonders for us,
the most beautiful being
your giving us, as a brother,
your only Son, Jesus Christ,
our Lord and Savior.
But just after him,
the most beautiful of your wonders performed for me
is your giving me my mother,
the woman that you have chosen especially for me,
to give me life and to lead me toward you.
It is she who has taught me everything:
to smile, to walk, to laugh,
to say my prayers,
to know you,
to speak, to live . . .
But more wonderful than these lessons,
my mother has taught me
to love and to be loved.
Therefore, God our Father, I pray:
bless my mother!
With my father, may she be happy on earth
and blessed in heaven
in the communion of the saints.
God our Father,
when I consider, as flowing from the same Holy Spirit,
the gifts with which you have filled me
and the love that my mother has shown me,
I am certain, O my God,
that the best way to witness to your love
is to confess you as a Father
who loves us as a mother.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!