Just when we need it, an inspiring story of honesty and kindness.
When a Kilgore woman (who wishes to remain anonymous) realized that her purse was missing last April, she thought she would never see it again – after all it contained $700 in cash and her credit cards.
Instead, days later, she was hugging James Thomas, the man who found her bag and met with her to return it.
“I never thought I would get it back,” the woman told the Longview News-Journal. “I feel so blessed. God is good.”
It all started when the woman placed her bag on the back of her car while pumping gas. It wasn’t until she had left the gas station and gone to another store that she realized her bag was nowhere to be found.
Thomas, who works for the Longview Public Works Department, saw the woman’s purse on the road as he was driving by. When he picked it up, he found the $700, along with a Social Security card, a bank card, and a Visa gift card. He alerted the Longview News-Journal, the owner of the bag was identified, and the two arranged to meet.
The woman gave Thomas a reward from the money in the bag, which he said he intends to give to his church, according to the News-Journal report.
“Knowing it got back to the right person,” Thomas said, “that’s all I was worried about.”
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!