To help save the pollinators, the actor added acres of flowering plants to his Mississippi estate.
Pollinators such as bees, butterflies and birds are under threat because of pesticide use and habitat loss. According to CNN, between April 2015 and 2016 beekeepers in the United States lost 44 percent of their colonies.
Since bees are responsible for approximately one third of everything we eat, the situation is dire – for the world’s food supply and economy.
Here’s what Freeman said about his bee sanctuary:
“There’s a concerted effort to bring bees back onto the planet. We do not realize that they are the foundation, I think, of the growth of the planet, the vegetation. I have so many flowering things, and I have a gardener too …
“We’ve got acres and acres of clover, we’re planting stuff like lavender, I’ve got like, maybe 140 magnolia trees, big blossoms.”
Watch him talk with Jimmy Fallon about his beekeeping:
Inspired to help the bees? Simply plant the things they like: herbs, wildflowers, flowering bushes and fruit trees. Even if you don’t have much space for a garden, you can plant herbs such as chives, lavender, sage, thyme and mint in a pot.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!