Jorge Campos’s inspiring message: “It’s not where you are that matters, but where you want to be.”
When Campos was 13 years old, he father lost his job as an auto technician and the family of six had to live out of a van, in hotels, and in the homes of relatives.
“Right now, I look back and instead of breaking down and crying like I should, because they were quite traumatic experiences, I just look at it … and move forward,” Campos, who now lives with his family in Palmdale, California, told KTLA.
In spite of his family’s difficulties, Campos continued to work hard in school, and enrolled in college level classes at Los Angeles Community College as part of USC TRIO Upward Bound, a program aimed at helping low-income students succeed and go to college.
The uncertainty he faced when his father lost his job even inspired Campos to learn about finances.
KTLA reported that he helped his parents purchase their own home two years ago.
“I took on the budget. I took on all their finances. All the bills that are paid at home run through me,” Campos told KTLA.
Campos plans to study economics at Harvard, and later hopes to get a master’s degree in public policy.
His message to those going through difficult times:
“Always keep in mind where you’re going, right? Because it’s not where you are that matters, but where you want to be,” he said.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!