Harold Hager shows us why his generation still is the “greatest.”
This is only the latest in a lifetime of charitable works.
Harold served in the Navy during World War II and began charity work by delivering supplies to his community during floods in 1972. CBN spoke with Harold’s son, who recalled how he would visit his wife every day when she had to be moved to a nursing home:
His son, John, told WENY: “When my mother had to actually go to the home in 2007, every day during visiting hours, during the week and through the weekends, seven days a week, he went at eleven o’clock in the morning and stayed with my mother until eight o’clock at night.”
After his wife passed away, in 2010, Harold threw himself into charity work. He spent several years building homes on a construction team for Habitat for Humanity. He has spent the last six years working at Habitat’s ReStore in Corning, a second-hand shop that sells donated housing materials and supplies.
USA today spoke with ReStore manager Jon Wylie, who explained the value Hager brings to his work:
“Without Harold, I don’t think we could do as much as we do now,” said ReStore Manager Jon Wylie. “People come in just to visit him, talk with him, and he gives us so much of his time. We’d need a lot more volunteers just to equal the amount of hours he gives us each week.”
Happy Birthday, Mr. Hager. May the first year of your second century bring you as much joy as you have brought to others.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!