News outlets are schooled for getting their Bible history wrong.
News outlets reported that the study, which examined DNA extracted from the bones of ancient Canaanites and compared it to that of modern day inhabitants of Lebanon, showed that the Bible was wrong.
The evidence of the continued existence of Canaanites today, they reported, refutes the Bible’s claim that the Canaanites were wiped out by ancient Israelites who were following God’s orders to annihilate them.
Mollie Hemingway of The Federalist, however, points out that Scripture never said that. Noting that journalists have a track record of “biblical illiteracy,” she helpfully offers a quickie remedial course on the Old Testament.
Citing chapter and verse from the book of Joshua, she shows that rather than refuting the Bible, the DNA study actually proves that it was right:
“And it came to pass, when Israel was strong, that they put the Canaanites under tribute, but did not completely drive them out.”
“Thus the children of Israel dwelt among the Canaanites … And they took their daughters to be their wives, and gave their daughters to their sons; and they served their gods.”
“By the end of the very exciting book of Joshua,” writes Hemingway, “readers are told that the annihilation of the enemy is not complete.”
Read the entire story in The Federalist here.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!