From Padre Hurtado, a beloved Chilean saint
Though not yet well known in English-speaking countries, this Chilean Jesuit priest is much beloved in South America. He is the second Chilean to be canonized (after St. Teresa of the Andes).
Padre Hurtado, as he is known with affection, founded the Hogar de Cristo (House of Christ) foundation.
This prayer is displayed beside one of his relics in Mendoza, Argentina.
Lord, there are so many who suffer
In today’s world
And so few who know
To forget their sorrow.
I want to be Light
Reflecting your Lamp
And good leaven
To raise up souls.
I thank you Lord
Because you have risen from the dead.
And you put to death in my soul
The anguish of sin.
If you ask my life,
I want to give it to you content.
If you don’t want me to die,
I want to live smiling.
I want to laugh,
I want to dream,
I want to give to everyone
The joy of loving.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!