Don’t have any time? Try these powerful prayers that only take seconds to pray.
Our daily lives don’t always allow for worship. We might not be able to make it to daily Mass, or to give time to the Lord in Eucharistic Adoration. But we can pray short, powerful prayers of adoration, praise, and penabnce any time, anywhere.
The beauty of this kind of prayer is that it allows a person to turn to God during work, school or any other activity. Aspirations are easily memorized and don’t require anything else besides a heart open to God’s love. When prayed in faith, they can raise a person’s soul from the mundane cares of life to the spiritual heights of grace. And this practice has the potential to sanctify your life.
Because these are prayers from your heart — prayed spontaneously when you are moved to worship — they need not be formalized in any way. In Henry Morton Robinson’s classic novel The Cardinal, Dennis Fermoyle — the trolley motorman and father of the book’s priest-protagonist — drove a route that took him past churches. Every time he passed one, he would tip his hat and utter an aspiration such as “Blessed be Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament of the Altar,” or “Praised be the Holy Family!”
Below are 10 short prayers that can be easily memorized. If you are new to aspirations (which your grandparents might have called “ejaculations,” from the Latin for bursting forth), you might write a few of your favorites on a card to keep in your pocket or purse as a reminder, until you get accustomed to praying this way. After a few weeks you’ll find that it is almost second nature for you to pour out a bit of praise and raise your heart to God.
1. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
2. Sacred Heart of Jesus, I trust in Thee.
3. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, I give you my heart and my soul.
4. Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Thy faithful, and enkindle in them the fire of Thy love.
5. My God, and my all!
6. Jesus, my God, I love Thee above all things.
7. Eucharistic Heart of Jesus, on fire with love of us, inflame our hearts with love of Thee.
8. Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto thine.
9. Blessed be God.
10. Heart of Jesus burning with love of us, inflame our hearts with love of Thee.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!