“When I heard there were families in need, I knew we needed to act fast.”
Shayda Willison, manager at a Pizza Hut in Sugar Land, Texas, had arrived to check on the state of her store when she heard that there were people nearby who were running out of food, and she jumped into action.
“When I heard there were families in need, I knew we needed to act fast,” Shayda said. She called her husband to collect some kayaks and bring them to the store, where, along with her family and a small crew of employees, Shayda and her team loaded fresh pizzas onto the kayaks and began delivering.
THANK YOU to our Oak Lake Pizza Hut team for their out-of-the-car response to deliver hot pizzas all day to the community they serve. pic.twitter.com/Xmkv9XhrKw
— PizzaHut (@pizzahut) August 30, 2017
The team has already delivered over 120 pizzas, and they don’t plan on stopping until their supplies run out. For Shayda, this is about more than doing a good thing; it’s about community. She explained to Fox 4, “You never let your family go hungry.”
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!