The unique event was live-streamed directly from Facebook Headquarters.
His title of his talk was, “How to Have a Religious Argument” and it focused on finding a pathway towards a civil discussion about religion — one that engages reason on both sides.
Barron began, “Every day, millions of people argue about religion on social media. The comboxes of religious and atheist sites are among the most visited and the most heated in the virtual space.”
“But what I find interesting is how few people really know how to have a good religious argument. Lots of energy, lots of sharp words, and lots of strong feelings are expressed. But rarely do we come across productive, rational argument about religion.”
Barron makes the point that an argument is not necessarily a negative thing, and that when done respectfully — as when an interlocutor takes the time to repeat a point back to an opponent to demonstrate that the opponent’s point is truly understood — can yield constructive discussion.
“In my talk, I’ll pave a way forward, showing how we all, believer and nonbeliever alike, can share better religious discussions.” He does just that.
Watch the entire lecture below or on Bishop Barron’s Facebook Page.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!