A law against facial coverings has support across party lines.
Most parties in the Danish parliament have endorsed a ban on facial coverings. If passed, Denmark would join France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Bulgaria and the German state of Bavaria in outlawing the use of full and partial veils.
In response to questions of whether outlawing the wearing of burqas or nijabs would violate religious liberties, proponents of a ban cited the security concerns raised by face-covering clothing.
“This is not a ban on religious clothing, this is a ban on masking,” Jacob Ellemann-Jensen, spokesman for the Liberal Party said, according to the report. The Liberal party leads the center-right governing coalition in Denmark’s parliament.
Wearing masks at public assemblies is illegal in Denmark, punishable by a fine or up to six months imprisonment.
Denmark’s largest party, the opposition Social Democrats, have also indicated that they would support a ban on face covering veils because they view them as oppressing women, reported the Independent.
“We are ready to ban the burqa if that is what it takes … But there are some dilemmas, not least with regards to how such a ban would be enforced,” said the Social Democrats’ leader Mette Fredriksen.
Support Aleteia takes a minute
If you’re reading this article, it’s precisely thanks to your generosity and to that of many other people like you that make possible the evangelization project of Aleteia. Here some numbers:
- 20 million of users around the world read Aleteia.org every month.
- Aleteia is published daily in eight languages: French, English, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish and Slovenian.
- Each month, our readers view more than 50 million pages.
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia’s social media pages.
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos.
- All of this work is carried out by 60 people working full-time and approximately 400 other collaborators (writers, journalists, translators, photographers…).
As you can imagine, behind these numbers there is a big effort. We need your support so we can keep offering this service of evangelization to everyone, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.
Support Aleteia from as little as $1 – and only takes a minute. Thank you!