See his emotional reaction when he experiences color for the first time.
But then, for his 66th birthday, William’s sister Paula had the idea to buy him Enchroma glasses, which correct red-green color blindness, allowing him to see colors properly for the first time. With the whole family — including William’s sister, wife, and daughters — chipping in, they pulled it off. When he put them on for the first time, he was overcome with emotion, surprising even his own family. “He has a very hard tough outer shell so for him to break down and cry and get emotional was pretty emotional to me and my girls,” his wife, Pam, says.
The family is already planning trips to Letchworth State Park and a special anniversary getaway so William can watch the leaves change for the first time.
Watch his reaction in the video above.
If you’re reading this article, it’s thanks to the generosity of people like you, who have made Aleteia possible.
Here are some numbers:
- 20 million users around the world read Aleteia.org every month
- Aleteia is published every day in eight languages: English, French, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Slovenian
- Each month, readers view more than 50 million pages
- Nearly 4 million people follow Aleteia on social media
- Each month, we publish 2,450 articles and around 40 videos
- We have 60 full time staff and approximately 400 collaborators (writers, translators, photographers, etc.)
As you can imagine, these numbers represent a lot of work. We need you.
Support Aleteia with as little as $1. It only takes a minute. Thank you!